Home Sweet Home





THE COUNTY SLIGO CREST

This crest was adopted by Sligo County Council in 1980. The design on the black shield, which shows an open book on which there is a Celtic Cross and a red rose, represents collectively the literary and cultural history of Sligo. These refer to such early works as the Books of Ballymote and Lecan, while the rose was a significant theme in the poetry of W.B.Yeats. The escallop shells sprinkled on the shield refer to the origin of the word Sligeach -- "a place abounding in shells". The boar's head refers to the "wild boar of Benbulben" in the Diarmuid and GrĂ¡inne myth. The colour scheme of the crest incorporates the Sligo GAA colours of black and white.

On the rare ocassion when I question whether or not this is where I mean to be, I inevitably pass this motto... Tell me. Could anything be as clear?

Comments

Roseee said…
I do hope you keep an eye on Chet Raymo's blog: http://www.sciencemusings.com/blog/

I can't remember if I've recommended it to you before. I've got the new book on order, and I'm rushing to finish my current book so that I'm ready when it arrives.

Popular Posts