Setting out upon a Summer's Solstice...


Solstice Sunrise




Auspicious adventures begin at sunrise, in the company of friends, and with offerings to the ancestors...


Back in June over the weekend of the Summer Solstice I had a visit from my dear friend, Siobhan.  She  moved to Bath in England in early April and this was her first visit to the land of her Ancestors since her mum had died: so, I wanted her welcome to be a homecoming in every way. 



We spent much of the weekend doing what we did when she lived here... sitting about in my kitchen sipping tea and chatting up a storm.   We had a lot to catch up on...  She and her partner are acclimating to a new city, new home, new work, new everything, really.  And now that I've been here for five years I'm feeling pretty nestled in.  But, it being the Solstice, we also wanted to celebrate, set some intentions, build a bonfire, make a pilgrimage and spend time with our other dear friend, Marian...



But, first, one more cup of tea and a slice of Marian's scrumptious  brown bread....





Marian & Siobhan - true Celtic beauties





Split capstone at "The Giant's Grave" in the Deerpark in Calry
(an ideal place to set intentions and make offerings to the ancestors)






My intention was inspired by the huge Mullein plant which had seeded herself in my polytunnel.  Isn't photosynthesis amazing? 





Her form seems to ask:  "What are you waiting for?  I'm here. You're here.  It's time."

This calls for a bit of history.  When I first moved here, I was pretty desperate to start my garden, just to begin to feel planted here.  The first seeds I bought from SeedSavers in Co. Clare, were Mullein seeds. 

I bought them because I didn't see any growing here in Sligo and they have grown everywhere else I've ever called "home".  When they started to germinate, my homesickness began to ease.

Before I moved here, I'd begun to study herbalism.  I've dabbled with it since I was a teenager; but, the course I'd started before I left Newport, was with Rosemary Gladstar-- the (ageless and beautiful) "Grandmother" of the Renaissance of Herbalism in the United States and I knew I needed to get to know the herbs here before I attempted to apply myself to any course in Ireland.   I explored a couple of schools that were offering degrees as a Master Medical Herbalist; but, the more I learned about the courses offered, the more I could see how traditional Herbalism is becoming "institutionalized" and "elitist".  And the deep ethos of traditional herbalism is that it is about the individual relationship between the herb and the herbalist and the herb and the patient.  It is truly the "people's medicine"  And it is meant to be passed on through apprenticeship.    AND, clearly, Mullein is trying to get my attention in a BIG way.  That's what herbs do.   Thrashing around, looking for a teacher, applying to schools wasn't cutting it for me.  So, I sat with Mully for a while or two and realized that I just have to set the intention and the rest will follow.  This is simple enough; but, it's also powerful and effective and  it means I have to mend my ways. Again.  Why should a herb agree to help me when I'm neglecting my own basic nutrition or exercise?   But, even if the mending is in fits and starts,  "It's time."  



Small beginnings ablaze in the firepit...











Comments

Addie said…
I just loovvved reading this! I never would have known about a Mullein plant ("Mully") until you put up your pictures, now I see them everywhere! None are as impressive as the one in your poly-tunnel though.
Wildiviner said…
Awww. Thank you, Addie.

Popular Posts