Snow Dance



Snow Dance


Elizabeth


We were 13.


Your Girlhood heart wouldn't grow


into your blooming body.


But, I still write to you.


As you know.


I hope.



I'm wrapped in a white silk scarf as I write this one.


Your mom says that you were born in Tibet.


"The land of Snow"


but, that was 1959.


Your long trek in vanishing snow to Dharamsala


began the day you were born



Your mom says you were a thank you present from


his Holiness the Dali Lama himself,


for her work at the camp.


I always loved it when she came to this part,


her eyes and her yes all holy like Mary



"He handed her to me wrapped in a ceremonial white silk


scarf and said, "Here is your daughter."


while the monks chanted the Heart Sutra


Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi sahva...



You told me that we were going to be best friends forever.


We lit a candle in our secret fort in the birch grove


holding an embroidery needle to a match flame


before pricking our thumbs and rubbing them together


saying, "Blood sisters forever" for watching some movie with


indians who did that.


Not the indians, like the ones you lived with in in the winter


but those ones in cowboy and indian films.



Indian summer meant you coming home to me with sari's and


bangle dancing hands and ankles


you twirled and laughed about everything


Manipuri mirth



When I moved to the mountains, you wrote to me asking.


"Where will you sleep in the snow?"


"Under many quilts, I said."


Perhaps


you know now what it is to sleep under quilts in the land


of snows


For now, it is summer again.


I mentioned I'm wrapped in a


white silk scarf, about


to present myself to my mother


hoping


my girlhood heart will outgrow my fading body made


lighter


for mingling my blood with the dance that was you.


Comments

Popular Posts